Monday, July 02, 2012

New Stainmaster® carpet

I've written an ongoing report on Stainmaster® carpet since it first came on the market in 1986. DuPont® wouldn't give us any maintenance information, so in January of 1987 we bought some from my wife's favorite department store and had it installed in our family room. That carpet is still on our floor and looks pretty good considering the age and abuse it has undergone. Click here for our report on our Stainmaster tests.

Stainmaster has undergone a transition. DuPont no longer owns it and I thought it was time to look into just how good the new owners are treating the legendary trademark. I recently bought Stainmaster carpet for our bedroom from a local carpet shop. It took a week to get it and two more weeks to get it installed. The installers did a good job and even used a power stretcher (surprise).

But the store nor the installers gave us any warranty or maintenance instructions on our new carpet (no surprise). Things haven't changed a bit in that department. No warranty literature or maintenance instructions came with Stainmaster 25 years ago from a major department store and none came with it today from a small carpet shop. I just hope the quality is as good, but I probably won't be around 25 years from now to tell you about it.

©Bane-Clene® Corporation 2012 Reprinting or electronically publishing this article is strictly prohibited without permission from Bane-Clene Corp.

I'd like to hear your comments on this article.
Please e-mail me at wfbane@baneclene.com.