Wednesday, January 30, 2013

An e-mail from a reader and he's right:

In your "Unusual month" post on December 21, 2012 you write, "This unusual December has five Saturdays, five Sundays and five Mondays. I wasn't around the last time to verify this, but supposedly it only happens once every 824 years" You have fallen for a common internet hoax. There is nothing unusual about a month with 5 Saturdays, 5 Sundays and 5 Mondays; it is nothing more than a 31 day month that begins on a Saturday. There is one almost every year, see for example October 2011 (though no months in 2013 will have this property). If you mean December specifically, it previously happened in 1984, 1990, 2001 and 2007, and will happen again in 2018 and 2029.

Best regards,
Edward Curtis, Morgantown, WV

Thanks Ed; I stand corrected and should have checked the e mail I got with that info. Your comment is much appreciated and I sure hope I'm around for the next one in 2018. Notice in an effort to play CYA, at least I said "supposedly." Bill.

©Bane-Clene® Corporation 2012 Reprinting or electronically publishing this article is strictly prohibited without permission from Bane-Clene Corp.

I'd like to hear your comments on this article.
Please e-mail me at wfbane@baneclene.com.