Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Another comment

This poem was written by a teen age boy in Ohio about school shootings. It was sent to me in an e-mail by a reader:

Now as I sit me down in school,
where praying is against the rule.
For this nation once under God,
now finds His mention to be odd.

If it's Scripture the class recites,
that violates the Bill of Rights.
And anytime my head I bow,
becomes a Federal matter now.

Hair can be purple, orange or green,
that's okay cause it's a freedom scene.
The law is specific and the law is precise,

prayers spoken out loud are a serious vice.

Saying a prayer aloud in a public hall,
may offend someone with no faith at all.
Therefore in silence we must meditate.
Mentioning God is forbidden by the state.

They outlaw prayer, the manger and the Bible,
so quoting the Good Book will make me liable.
It's 'inappropriate' to teach right from wrong.
We're told such 'judgments' just don't belong.

We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,
and pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks.
We elect a pregnant girl Senior Queen,
and the 'unwed dad,' the year's top teen.

We can get our condoms and birth controls,
study witchcraft, vampires, even totem poles.
But the Ten Commandments aren't allowed.
The word of God mustn't reach this crowd.

It's scary here at school I must confess,
when chaos reigns the place is a mess.
So, Good Lord, this silent plea I make,
should I be shot, my soul please take!

Amen

©Bane-Clene® Corporation 2012 Reprinting or electronically publishing this article is strictly prohibited without permission from Bane-Clene Corp.

I'd like to hear your comments on this article.
Please e-mail me at wfbane@baneclene.com.