A farmer's donkey fell into a deep well and cried piteously as the farmer tried to figure out what to do. He decided since the animal was very old and the well was dry and needed to be covered anyway, he would just fill it in and bury the old donkey. The farmer began to shovel dirt down into the well. At first, the donkey cried horribly. But then he quieted down. The farmer looked down into the well and was astonished at what he saw.
When each shovel full of dirt hit the donkey's back, he would shake it off and take a step up. The farmer feverishly continued to shovel dirt onto the animal and the donkey continued to shake it off and take a step up each time. When the dirt pile reached the top of the old well the donkey stepped out and trotted off toward the pasture!
MORAL: Life is going to dump on us at times. The trick is to shake it off and take a step up. Look on each of our troubles as a steppingstone. Five suggestions for a happier life:
- Free our hearts from hatred by forgiving those who trespass against us.
- Free our minds from worries because most things we worry about never happen.
- Live simply and appreciate what we have, especially those that are free.
- Give more of ourselves and of what we have to those less fortunate.
- Expect less from everyone else, but expect more from ourselves.
©Bane-Clene® Corporation 2012 Reprinting or electronically publishing this article is strictly prohibited without permission from Bane-Clene Corp.
I'd like to hear your comments on this article.
Please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.