Monday, August 13, 2012

Ronald Gene Baker - April 28, 1951 - August 2, 2012

It is with great sadness that I report Ron Baker passing away suddenly as the result of a fall in his home. Ron is survived by his son Ryan and his brothers, Robert and John.

Born in San Diego, California, he and his family moved to Indianapolis in 1967. He worked in the family painting business, John E. Baker and Sons, until 1974, when he joined Farrell Argast Lighting Company as a Purchasing Agent. He began his career at Bane-Clene in 1978 as our Inventory and Purchasing Control Agent. In 1981 he was promoted to Customer Sales and Service Representative.

He befriended thousands of people in our business in his position as Customer Service Representative. Ron was known for his friendly nature and the good advice he gave to callers. He was very thorough in his job, especially when it came to customer follow-up.

In 1969 I had the pleasure of coaching Ron on a State Championship baseball team. He was a catcher, had one of the best arms in the league and made the All Star team that year. He dearly loved baseball and was scouted by the Phillies, White Sox, Indians and Reds. He was an avid baseball fan and we just had a long discussion about the current baseball season during our last school.

Don Bane played on the 1969 team with Ron and Bill Bane Jr., served with him in the same Army unit during the Viet Nam war. I know I speak for everyone at Bane-Clene when I say Ronnie will be missed. I'll especially miss hearing him call me "Coach."

©Bane-Clene® Corporation 2012 Reprinting or electronically publishing this article is strictly prohibited without permission from Bane-Clene Corp.

I'd like to hear your comments on this article.
Please e-mail me at wfbane@baneclene.com.